Arts subjects are best suited for disciples seek to draft their career in an unconventional field and are not interested to study science and commerce subjects. The subjects covered under the umbrella of Arts primarily develop intellectual skill in students rather than entirely analytical and logical. As the subjects are skewed from main stream, few misconceptions about them have been aroused and one of them is that Arts subjects are selected by academically dull students. In actual it is not so, subjects are selected by students as deemed fit to their interest and passion.
The various subjects included in arts stream are History, Geography, Political Science, literature, Economics, Public Administration, language, law, Handicraft, Home Science, Psychology, Sociology, fine arts, dancing, music, fashion designing, physical education, philosophy and lots more.
Though Science and commerce students are expected to have a high remunerated jobs and a flourishing career, the choice of arts students are driven by their interest & passion, but it doesn’t mean that the arts students leg behind in financial opportunities. The career of an individual is often judge by financial success and Arts students have lot of opportunities for a successful career in the field of their passion. The various career prospects for an Arts student is to be a social activist, Philosopher, lawyer, Professional Photographer, Painter, Tour Manager, Journalist, Writer, Actor, Singer, Historian, Teacher, Fashion designer, Interior Designer, Event Manager, Retail Manager, Cartoonist, Graphics Designer, Translator, public relation executive and lots more.
After qualifying Higher Secondary, the study in core arts subjects can be continued by getting admission in Bachelor of Arts i.e B.A or other diploma courses. In order to become eligible for getting admission in B.A., student must have qualified the higher secondary either in arts, commerce or science stream. The various Arts courses at bachelor level conducted in India are:
- BA in Sociology
- BA in Psychology
- BA in Political Science
- BA in Home Science
- BA. in Social Science
- BA in History or Ancient History
- BA in Geography
- BA in Agro Services
- BA in Social Work
- BA in Gandhian Social Work
- BA. in Anthropology
- BA in Hospitality & Tourism or Tourism Management
- BA in Journalism
- BA in Military Studies
- BA in Statistics
- BA in International Relations
- BA in Human Rights
- BA in languages like English or Hindi or Sanskrit or Assamese or Bengali or Tamil or Kannad or oriya or Marathi or Punjabi or urdu or Arabic or Chinese or French or German etc.
- BA in literature like English or Hindi or Gujarati,
- BA in Physical Education
- BA in Public Administration
- BA in Rural Development
- BA in Vocational Studies
- BA in Yoga
- BA in Economics or Corporate Economics or Development Economics or Economics with transport studies
- BA in Foreign Trade & Practice or Foreign Trade Management
- BA in Fine Arts or Drawing & Painting
- BA in Advertising & Brand Management
- BA in Cinema and Photography
- BA in Music or Instrument Music
- BA in Vedic Astrology
- BA in Computer Science and lots more.
Other professional courses which arts students are eligible to pursue after their Higher Secondary are:
- Bachelor of Computer Application BCA
- Integrated LLB.
- Bachelor of Management Studies BMS.
- Bachelor of Hotel Management BHM
- Bachelor of Interior Designing or Textile Design or Product Design.
The subjects and courses are evaluated by students on the basis of probability of job placement and career prospects after completion of studies. Along with abilities, personality and intelligence, career of a student also depends on the selection of course and the college. The colleges of high repute and better academic facilities attract supplementary opportunities. Therefore selection of college is also a crucial decision. Some of the colleges which are among the top ranked colleges for Arts in India are:
- Lady Shriram College for Women, New Delhi
- Stephen’s College, New Delhi
- Miranda House, New Delhi
- Hindu College, New Delhi
- Loyala College, Chennai
- Madras Christian College, Chennai
- Stella Maris College, Chennai
- Christ College, Bangalore
- Xavier’s college, Mumbai
- KJ Somaiya College of Arts & Commerce, Mumbai
- Fergusson College, Pune
- Presidency University, Kolkata
- St. Joseph College, Kerala
Arts students in conjunction with getting employment fascinated with an additional opportunity to practice and establish career in the field of their interest. The list of subjects and profession to practice in arts stream is too prolonged and the students have liberty to opt any of them as per their choice. The selection of college is also a crucial parameter for decision. Finally, along with selection of course and college, the intelligence, personality and ability of student are vital parameters of a successful career.