The disciples interested in learning aspects regarding survival and remedy of living organisms either plants or animals shall select biology as their subject for schooling and higher studies. The subject Biology is utmost theoretical in nature. After Senior Secondary, the subjects in science stream are bifurcated into biology and mathematics. The students have options to select either one of them or can also study both the subjects simultaneously along with other common subjects during last 2 year of their schooling. In most of the Boards of Education in India for Schooling, the options among science subjects offered to students for higher secondary are:
- PCM- Physics, Chemistry and Mathematics
- PCB – Physics, Chemistry and Biology
- PCMB – Physics, Chemistry, Mathematics and Biology.
The students qualified their Higher Secondary in biology are offered with an extensive list of courses for selection which are broadly classified into life science and health science. In fact Health science is a part of life science as Life science generally focuses on systematic study of living organisms whereas health science focuses on their treatment, prevention and cure. Biology is put into practice in the fields of medicine, agriculture, animal husbandry, waste management, biotechnology etc. and based upon the disciplines or sub-sections following bachelor degree courses are being conducted for biology students:
List of some of the Courses being conducted in Health Science:
- MBBS – Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery
- BDS – Bachelor of Dental Surgery
- BAMS – Bachelor of Ayurvedic Medicine & Surgery
- BNYS – Bachelor of Naturopathy & Yogic Science
- BUMS – Bachelor of Unani Medicine & Surgery
- BSMS – Bachelor of Siddha Medicine and Surgery
- BHMS – Bachelor of Homeopathic Medicine & Surgery
- V.Sc & A.H – Bachelor of Veterinary Science & Animal Husbandry
- B.Pharma – Bachelor of Pharmacy
- B.P.T – Bachelor of Physiotherapy
- B.O.T – Bachelor of Occupational Therapy
- BMLT – Bachelor of Medical Lab Technician
- B.Sc Nursing
The disciples completed their degree either in MBBS, BDS, BAMS, BNYS, BUMS, BSMS & BHMS is awarded by the title “Doctor” and became entitled to use prefix “Dr.” before his/ her name.
Some of the other courses which are available exclusively for biology students in various sub-sections are:
AGRICULTURE:As specific to biology it is the science of incorporating new innovations and technologies in farming and cultivation of crops. The various courses in agriculture are organized to study related parameters of farming to increase the yield and improve the quality of crops. Some of the courses in agriculture science are
- B.Sc in Agriculture
- B.Sc in Agronomy: This Course primarily includes development and implementation of new agricultural activities such as field-crop synchronization, development of improved methods of cultivation etc. to increase the yielding.
- B.Sc in Agricultural Biotechnology: This course includes the studies conducted to change and improve the genetic structure of seeds etc. to increase the productivity.
- B.Sc in Entomology: Includes study of effect of insects and other organisms on crops.
- B.Sc in Agricultural Meteorology: Emphasize on study of effect of weather and climatic conditions on agricultural activities
- B.Sc in Crop Physiology: This course includes the study of internal processes, functions, parameters and effect of outer nutrients in a crop’s life.
BIOTECHNOLOGY: It is the implementation of combination of Biology and Technology to modify the basic structure of living microorganisms to make them useful for mankind. B.Sc in Biotechnology is being conducted to study this subject of Biology.
FOOD TECHNOLOGY: The courses in Food Technology involve the study of various parameters of production, processing, preservation, distribution, enhancing nutritional value and development of new edible products. Some of the courses being conducted in food technology are:
- B.Sc in Food Technology
- B.Sc in Food Processing
- B.Sc in Food Processing and Technology
- B.Sc in Food Preservation and Processing
- B.Sc in Food Storage, Preservation and Food Technology
FORENSIC SCIENCE: It is the study & application of modern scientific methods and technology within legal standards to investigate the clues at crime scenes. Some of the courses in Forensic Science are:
- B.Sc in Forensic Science
- Diploma in Computer Forensics
- Diploma in Forensic Science & Criminology
- Diploma in Finger Print Examination
GEOLOGY: Geology is the study of Earth’s material composition, its structure, components and various processes acting upon it. B.Sc in Geology is being conducted to study this subject of biology..
MICROBIOLOGY: It is the study of all living microorganisms i.e the organisms which are not visible with naked eyes like bacteria, fungi, virus, algae, protozoa etc. The various courses conducted to study Microbiology are:
- Diploma in Clinical Microbiology
- Diploma in Clinical Pathology
- Diploma in Industrial Microbiology
ZOOLOGY: It is the study of various aspects of animal kingdom including their structure, evolution, habits and their interaction with ecosystem etc. The various courses being conducted to study Zoology are:
- B.Sc in Zoology
- B.Sc (Hons.) Zoology
- B.Sc in Advanced Zoology and Biotechnology
For more information or query, feel free to e-mail us or leave your comment.