In Schooling, the subjects in Science stream after SSC (10th class) are bifurcated into Mathematics and Biology. The students having better logical and reasoning skills prefer to study Mathematics for their HSC and higher studies. In most of the Boards of Education in India, the students While taking admission in 11th class has to chose the subject of their choice for Science stream as either mathematics (PCM) or biology (PCB) along with other common subjects. Those students which are enough dedicated to handle both the subjects can also study both Mathematics and Biology (PCMB) simultaneously.
The students completed their HSC (12th class) in Mathematics can continue their studies by getting admission in Bachelor degree courses which are exclusively conducted for them. Some of the courses are:
- B.A/ B.Sc (Hons) Mathematics
- Integrated M.Sc in Mathematics (5 year programme included B.Sc+M.Sc)
Some of the top colleges which conduct these courses are
- Indian Statistical Institute, Bangalore
- Indian Institute of Science, Bangalore
- Institute of Mathematical Sciences, Chennai
- Chennai Mathematical Institute, Chennai
- Tata Institute of Fundamental Research, Mumbai
- Harish-Chandra Research Institute, Allahabad
- Indian Institutes of Science Education and Research
The students completed their 12th class either in Science or commerce are eligible to get admission in these courses. The admission in colleges is done either by conducting the entrance test or through merit. Generally, the subjects studied in these courses are Algebra, Geometry, Calculus, Trigonometry, differential equations and numerical analysis etc.
The degree in core mathematics courses provides a promising career prospect to the students. The student can get jobs in various research institutes like ISRO, BARC, DRDO as Mathematician, software companies, teaching faculty in educational institutes, Accountant & data analyst in companies, statistician, research fellows and lots more.
Along with above mentioned courses, the mathematics students can also pursue following courses in engineering and Technology:
Bachelor of Engineering or Bachelor of Technology is a 4 year duration bachelor degree course conducted in various subjects like Mechanical, Civil, Electrical, Electronics, Computer Science, Information Technology, Robotics etc.
“For More information about B.E/ B.Tech, read the article How to become an Engineer”
Bachelor of Architecture is a 5 years duration bachelor degree course conducted to study planning, designing and constructing buildings and structures.
Other than the bachelor degree courses mentioned above, there are some courses which are available to students irrespective of the subject in their HSC (12th class). Some of the courses among them are:
The students completed their degree in Mathematics have lots of professional fields to settle down. The various career prospects for Mathematics students are as:
- Career in Banking as Data analyst, financial models developer and market researcher etc.
- Career in Software Companies for coding and decoding and programming etc.
- Career as a statistician i.e to collect, manage, analyze and interpret the data.
- Career in academia as being a teaching faculty in educational institutes.
- Career in Research
- Career in any of the various branches of Engineering.
- Career as Architecture to design and construct buildings and structures.
The use of logical skills & reasoning skills and the promising career opportunities makes mathematics as most interesting and preferred subject.
For more information or any query, please feel free to e-mail us of leave your comment.